An automatic light switch does both turn-on and off functions automatically in several ways. It works with a light-sensing sensor or motion-sensing sensor. A timer can give the on-off signal to the switch. The automatic light switch is very convenient and energy-saving. Day by day, the automatic light switch is becoming popular. Its use is getting common in business and public areas as it is convenient for employees to turn it on and off. It turns off the lights automatically after inactivity for a certain period. Therefore, it saves energy and money.
If you are in a rush, you can use the comparison table below to buy the most suitable item. The comparison table is basically the summary of the different items described in this article. You can buy the best item based on your budget, material preference, and also our commendation. Based on our study we concluded that-
– The overall best – Honeywell Home Programmable Light Switch
– The best value – Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
– The Premium Quality – GE SunSmart Programmable Digital Timer Switch
The top 5 automatic light switches in 2023
1. Honeywell Home Programmable Light Switch
2. Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
3. Lutron Motion Sensor Light Switch
4. GE SunSmart Programmable Digital Timer Switch
5. Lutron Maestro Motion Sensor Dimmer Switch
Comparison of top 5 automatic light switches
|Honeywell Home Programmable Light Switch
|Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch
|Lutron Motion Sensor Light Switch
|GE SunSmart Programmable Digital Timer Switch
|Lutron Maestro Motion Sensor Dimmer Switch
|Push Button Switch
|2.3 x 6.3 x 8.7
|1.5 x 3.3 x 5
|1.75 x 2 x 4.2
|6.8 x 4.75 x 2.3
|1.75 x 2.2 x 4.2
Here are the details of each item described in the above comparison table-
Honeywell Home programmable light switch helps you save money by ensuring that your lights are only turned on when they are needed. This environment-friendly product is compatible with CF Bulbs, incandescent, halogen, and fluorescent lights. It is a great product for indoor and outdoor use. It is also can be fitted for ceiling fans, pond pumps, and pool pumps. It has three modes of operation and seven programs. It is a programmable switch for lights and motors that best suits your individual needs.
The various features such as customizing capability, energy-saving ECONOSwitch, control from multiple devices, multi-mode operation, and sleek design make it one of the best automatic light switches in the market.
The 7-day solar timetable switch allows you to create various options in your corporate office, home, or studio. The sleek design can fit with standard wallplates, while the large screen and backlight provide clear viewing, even at night. It is easy to install and equipped with automatic daylight-saving updates. This switch works to reduce energy costs even when you’re not around.
Kasa Smart Wi-Fi light switch dimmer is the most reasonable product in the market. It is a single-pole switch that is compatible with Amazon Alexa, and Google Home. It is capable of handling a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection. It is UL certified product, and you do not need any hub to connect.
Control your room’s brightness and set the ambiance for any mood or activity using the Kasa Smart app. You can dim the lighting and set the perfect atmosphere for a romantic movie night with special someone.
The installation is also very easy. You do not need to understand complex wiring. You can do it by yourself by following the step-by-step wiring process in the Kasa Smart app. It comes with labels, a faceplate, and the necessary hardware.
You can use the grouping feature on the Kasa Smart app to combine your devices together for unified control with one single tap on your smartphone. You can combine living room bulbs, plugs, and light switches together for an easy way to turn them on when you get home. You can also fade off the lights with a simple double-click or set up your voice assistant to do it. It is a great product to dim the light slowly when your child drifts to sleep or to give yourself enough time to exit a room.
Maestro occupancy/vacancy sensors automatically turn lights on when you enter a space and off when you leave, making them convenient to save energy in a home or commercial space. They’re ideal for rooms where lights are accidentally left on, such as an office, or rooms that you often enter with your hands full, such as a laundry room or supply closet. Lutron offers various sensors to meet the needs of any space, including sensor switches, dual-circuit switches, and dimmer sensors.
Lutron now offers Maestro occupancy/vacancy sensor switches in passive infrared ray (PIR) or dual-technology sensing models. Both technologies provide coverage for major, minor, and fine motion, making either option ideal for most residential and commercial applications. For applications where very fine motion activities such as typing are most common, the dual-technology sensor is the better solution.
The new model Maestro sensor combines 0-10V dimming and PIR sensing into one simple, cost-effective solution. Lutron uses XCT sensing technology and smart, adaptive settings to provide reliable sensing and optimized dimming performance. Installation is a snap with mis-wire alerts, no neutral required, and easily adjustable settings.
GE SunSmart programmable digital switch is a very highly, multi-function digital timer. It can be used for versatile purposes. This is one of the excellent products for your home, studio, or corporate space.
You can set multiple On-Off settings for lights or appliances throughout the week. It is possible to set up to 7 individual weekly programs. This product is also compatible with LED, CFL, and incandescent bulbs. The timer will auto-adjust to sunset-sunrise times and Daylight-saving time throughout the year for easy programming, and it also features a vacation setting to help deter crime when you are away.
It is an easy-to-install device with a direct wire. The timer replaces a standard wall switch, fits in a single or multi-gang rocker plate, can be used in the single-pole or 3-way installation, and includes white and light almost faceplates.
The timer features a backup battery to maintain settings in the event of a power outage, the easy-to-read LCD display makes programming simple and the door also functions as a convenient On-Off to override push-button. This is one of our highly recommended products on the list.
This is one of the great products of Lutron Electronics. This product works right out of the box. The features include-
• No programming required
• Optimized for ideal sensitivity
• Settings are simple to adjust—no dip switches or dials
• Neutral optional—one model has you covered with the option to connect the neutral
• 3-way—works with a Maestro® accessory switch or mechanical switch.
Adjustable sensor settings-
• Timeout: Adjust to 1, 5, 15*, or 30 minutes
• Mode (sensor modes): Lights automatically turn
off in all sensor modes
– Occ – Occupancy mode*
– Lrn – Occupancy with learning ALD mode
– Fixd – Occupancy with fixed ALD mode
– Vac – Vacancy mode (no ALD)
• Sensitivity: High*, medium, low, minimum
Adjustable dimmer settings–
• High- and low-end trim: The user has the
option to set the high-end and low-end light level
• Adjustable fade time
– fade-to-on: .75 – 15 seconds
– fade-to-off: .75 – 15 seconds
• Selectable dimming curve: Optimizes
– Square Law (logarithmic)
Lutron sensors detect fine motion better than other PIR sensors
• Provides exceptional prevention of false-ons and false-offs.
• Superior sensitivity—recognizes the difference between fine human motion and background noise.
Optimized dimming performance
• Selectable dimming curve ensures optimal performance
– Square Law (logarithmic)
• Smooth fade-to-on and fade-to-off
If you have a handsome budget for the automatic light switch, this would be a great product for you.
How does an automatic light switch work?
In a light-sensing automatic switch, the cadmium sulfide photo-resistor (also known as a CdS cell) is used. Depending on the amount of light that arrives on the resistor, the resistance value of the photo-resistor changes. When enough light (for example, on a sunny day) hits the resistor, it conducts electricity very well, as it has almost zero resistance. Therefore, the automatic switch activates to turn off the light.
When there is no light (for example, at night), the resistance value becomes high. So, the electrical conductivity becomes poor. In this case, the automatic switch activates to turn on the light. In a real-life lighting switch, the circuit is more advanced with additional functions. It has a CdS cell, transistor, and relay but might need more than one transistor depending on the size of the relay.
In a motion-sensing automatic switch, there is a small electronic sensor that detects infrared waves. The infrared wave is the radiation wave created by moving objects such as humans, animals, moving objects, etc. When any object moves across the field of view of the sensor, it detects the infrared wave. For this detection, the automatic switch activates to turn on the light. In a real-life motion-sensing automatic switch, there are additional timers and transistors to provide more features.
How to turn off and on an automatic light switch?
(a) Deactivation of automatic light switch
If you are not enjoying the on-and-off clicking of the automatic sensor light, you can deactivate it. Most manufacturers make it simple to turn off this vital feature of the switch. The fixture should have an “on time” switch, normally located right beneath the motion sensor. Set it to any position other than the test position and turn off the light’s linked switch. If you are not confirmed, test all accessible switches before fiddling with the “on-time” button.
(b) Restoring the automatic light switch
If you want to restore the automatic switch function after disabling that, don’t worry. It is a very straightforward procedure, thanks to the makers. They have also made the restoration procedure easy to follow. Locate the control switch and swiftly turn it off and on. This quick switch flip instructs the lamp to reintroduce motion into its function.
Do automatic light switches save money?
Automatic light switches are best suited for corporate places and retail stores. It eliminates the duty of the last employee leaving to check that every light is either turned off or not. Automatic light switches with motion-detecting sensors would be great to link with many lights, purchasing the sensor more economical. So, it will save the cost of human work, energy, and money.
Installing a motion sensor is recommended in a medium or low-traffic area, where you habitually leave a light on and do not notice it accidentally. If you want to use an automatic light switch for your kitchen or bedroom, it might not be cost-effective. Because it’s very unlikely you’re leaving your lights on that often, especially in places with high traffic, such as a living room or kitchen. This may include closets, bathrooms, entrances, utility closets, garages, or guest rooms.
Typically, an automatic light sensor costs $13 to $35, and the switch lasts 15 to 20 years. So, the average cost per month for a switch is 5 cents to 20 cents. These light switches are always on standby to respond to movement and thus consume some amount of phantom energy. So unless you forget to turn off your 60-watt light bulb 14 hours a day every day for a year, the cost of purchasing and powering the standby light switch isn’t worth the investment. That cost is similar to the energy cost of leaving a 60-watt light turned on for 12 to 20 hours.
Do automatic light switches worthwhile at home?
Due to the increased use of Amazon Alexa, Google Home, or other Wi-Fi-controlled devices, automatic light switches are a good idea. You can command Amazon Alexa, and Google Home to turn on and the device off without moving from your desk. Moreover, if any thief crosses a dark area, the security camera can not record the clear face. If you have a baby in your home, automatic light switches are highly recommended. You do not need to worry about the room in which your baby plays. When your little angel moves from one room to another room, the light will turn on and off automatically.
What factors need to consider buying the best motion detector light switch?
(a) Number of Traffic in the designated area
(b) Type of sensor (Active or Passive)
(c) Daylight sensing
(d) Light, valve compatibility
(e) Other features
When you would like to buy an automatic light switch, you will get many options. But you should choose an automatic light switch, timer, or dimmer that is best suited for your need. If you buy a great product, you do not need to worry about 15 to 20 years. But making a wrong decision may cost more money. If you want the best light dimmer or switch, you can trust our review. If you have any questions or comments, you can comment here or contact us directly.
-Our editorial board has reviewed this article and has been approved for publication according to our editorial policy.
List of Amazon best seller automatic light switches-
- Motion sensor switch automatically turns the lights on when you enter the room and off when you leave
- Features XCT sensing technology which detects fine motion, such as typing at a desk or reading, ensuring lights do not turn off inadvertently
- Smart Ambient Light Detection: Senses daylight in the room and learns your preferred light level over time, so your lights stay off if it's already bright
- ✅【NO NEURTAL WIRE REQUIRED】Motion activated light switch is ideal for homes of all ages to replace existing switch. Not suitable for 3way, Grounding Wire is Required, if you have any doubt, please consult with a licensed electrician.
- ✅【Hands Free】Enjoy the convenience of hands-free lighting control. The motion sensor switch detects your presence and activates the lights, eliminating the need to fumble for switches in the dark.
- ✅【High Quality】Multifunction wall light switches have UL Certified, FCC Listed and California Title 24 Compliant. Electric switch works with 300W LED, 300W CFL and 600W incandescent light bulbs on the market.
- 2-pack motion sensor switch automatically turns on/off lights, fans, and motors based on the occupancy and vacancy detected in a room
- AUTO mode works as an occupancy sensor (Auto ON, Auto OFF). ON and OFF modes allow you to override the sensor and use the sensor switch as a regular light switch
- Max Sensor Coverage Area 980 sq ft, 180º Field of View. Adjustable range and sensitivity from 30% to 100%
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR LIGHTS - Add convenience and customization to your home with the Honeywell Home ECONOSwitch 7-Day Solar Programmable Light Switch
- HELPS SAVE ON YOUR ENERGY BILL - Scheduled programming allows the Econoswitch to turn your home lights and motors on and off automatically, helping you save both time and energy
- CONTROL MULTIPLE DEVICES - Schedule your motor-operated appliances such as ceiling fans, bathroom fans, pond pumps, and pool pumps in addition to all your home lighting (one switch per home installation). 1800W, ¾ HP on 120v
- AUTO & CUSTOMIZATION: Automatically turns your lights on and off based on your scheduled programming. Save time and energy! Three operating modes and up to 7 on-and-off programs that can be repeated daily or weekly. You can flexibly combine these schedules to best suit your family lifestyle.
- PROGRAMMABLE TIMER: Input your local latitude and longitude, the light switch timer will automatically calculate the sunrise and sunset time to turn on and off your lights. Setting a specific time to control the lights is also available to meet various actual needs. And all the programming is saved when suddenly power goes out.
- PROTECT YOUR HOME: We all know that lights on in a house help deter thieves and break-ins. Featuring with a random mode which can randomize your home's lights to appear like someone is at home, that will keep your house safe when you are away.
- SunSmart technology – Built-in function adjusts sunrise and sunset settings throughout the year to accommodate varying daylight times for your region
- Weekly programming – Create up to seven ON/OFF programs throughout the week to support varied schedules, and a random security feature alters settings by up to 30 minutes to create a lived-in appearance
- Switch upgrade – Replace single-pole or three-way switches equipped with a neutral wire to control LED, CFL, incandescent and halogen bulbs, and other permanently installed fixtures
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR LIGHTS - Add convenience and customization to your home with the Honeywell Home 7-Day Programmable Light Switch Timer.
- HELPS SAVE ON YOUR ENERGY BILL - Scheduled programming allows this light switch timer to turn your home lights on and off automatically, helping you save both time and energy.
- HIDDEN PROGRAMMING BUTTONS - On/Off door flap opens to reveal programming buttons for easy operation and programming of your ceiling fans, bathroom fans, pond pumps, and pool pumps in addition to all your home lighting and motor-operated lights (one switch per home installation).
- ✓ BLUE BACKLIGHT MAKES IT EASY TO PROGRAM: Blue backlight on this digital light switch timer makes it easy to see and program your timer. Set up to 18 On/Off programs, each with 7-day programming options. Settings can be as short as one minute. Choose your own individual days or simply select one of our convenient pre-set combination days
- ✓ FULL CONTROL: Press and hold on the door to shift easily between AUTO (timed on/off) or MANUAL (manual on/off) modes. A backup battery in the BN-LINK 7 day programmable in-wall timer switch keeps your settings even in the event of a power outage, and our convenient Daylight Savings Time mode makes time changes headache-free
- ✓ PROTECT YOUR HOME: Activate our 3 way timer switch’s “Random” vacation mode to randomize your home’s programmed lights. Make your home look “lived in” even when you’re away.
- ✅【Grounding Wire is Required】 A ground connection is required to operate. Use the ground wire in the wall box for ground connection. If no ground is available, consult an electrician. The device will not function if it is not grounded or the ground wire does not work.
- ✅【Motion Area】This motion sensor switch provides an adjustable 120-degree field of view with optional adjustments for sensitivity.
- ✅【Universal Compatibility】 Works with 300W LED, 300W CFL and 600W incandescent light bulbs on the market.
- ✔Neutral Wire Required: Please review your wiring setup prior to purchase. The PIR infrared motion activated wall switch is need NEUTRAL WIRE (not suitable for 3way). If you have any installation issues, please consult an electrician or contact us through message, we will provide you technical guidance.
- ✔Easy Custom Modes: Sensor Light switch features adjustable settings. Adjustable time delay from 15sec-1min-5mins-15mins-30mins, adjustable sensitivity and adjustable light level sensing. You can set the switch according to your own needs.
- ✔Variety Modes Choice: The motion-activated switch has three modes, OCCUPANCY (OCC) Mode: auto on & off, VACANCY (VAC) Mode: manual on & auto off and OFF Mode: manual on &off. Make your home convenient with a single switch.